Wednesday, July 6, 2016

[Solution] Backup to external hard drive failed, then boot manager not found - everything lost!

Backup to external hard drive failed, then boot manager not found - everything lost!

(Crud, why is all my useful formatting lost when I post?) I back up my Windows 7 religiously every 3 months using Windows Backup and keep the hard drive at another location (in case of fire at home).
This time everything went wrong: The first backup attempt
failed.
Not enough space on hard drive.
I deleted previous backups from the 1 TB hard drive and started a new Windows backup.
That backup also failed (after several hours) but did not give a reason.
I read the "details" but there were really no details at
all.
I figure a reboot might help, so I reboot my Windows 7 system (which I do every day).
The mouse did not work, so I rebooted again.
(This happened approx.
every 5th time I rebooted that drive.) But this time the boot manager is not found.
?! Tried again
multiple times - no luck.
Hard drive is now completely dead.
So now I have no hard drive AND NO BACKUP.
Husband (IT professional) tries everything to access the hard drive.
No choice but to RMA, he says.
He gets me a new hard drive and installs a new Windows
7 system similar to my old one.
So we connected the external hard drive just to see what's on it.
Content: A MyName-PC "file" from the day I tried making this last backup.
WindowsImageBackup folder from Jan.
2012 MediaID.bin from Jan.
2012 So I double-click
MyName-PC and get the Windows Backup dialog that asks, "Do you want to restore files from this backup?" **** yes! I click Restore files.
But I get an error message: "The backup application could not start due to an internal error: (0xC0003005)." That's it!
No further information.
So I drill down into MyName-PC and there are 10 XML files in there with really long names, plus a VHD file and BackupSpecs.xml.
Please, any advice what to do? I am very concerned about this.
Above all my family's photos from 15 years
seem to be lost, which is unacceptable.
Questions (answer any or all, please!): Is there likely to be any way to restore (or get files off of) the hard drive that appears to be completely dead? Can I do anything with the files (described above) on the external
hard drive? Even though the backup failed (according to the error message from the dying hard drive), it did run for several hours.
I apparently can't get Windows Backup to restore them, but is there any other way? There were previous backups on the external
hard drive.
I deleted those right before starting the new backup.
The hard drive properties say that 351 GB is used out of 1 TB.
Is it possible that some of those photos can be restored even though they were deleted? Any other advice? What's my next step?
(I have to get those pictures back one way or another...) Would really appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Anwsers to the Problem Backup to external hard drive failed, then boot manager not found - everything lost!

Download SmartPCFixer for Free Now

Windows File backup stores its files in a number of .zip files.
They might be hidden.
Since your husband is an IT professional he should easily be able to find them on the backup disk.
If you have a .vhd file (Virtual Hard Disk) then it will contain a complete image of your System Drive.
Your husband can mount this image as a virtual hard disk, using the Disk Manager, then copy any files or folders back to your library folders.
Seeing that disks are so cheap theses days, I alternate my backups between two of them.
This means that I'm safe unless my house burns down.
The method protects me in particular against Error #10, e.g.
when I clean up my backup drive in order to create room
for new backups.
P.S.
Error #10 = The cause of the error sits 10" in front of the screen.

  1. Access the files on your computer via MY COMPUTER
  2. Under the C: drive, access the WINDOWS folder
  3. Select the SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION folder, followed by the DOWNLOAD folder.
  4. Delete any files within this download folder.
  5. If you are unable to delete these files, open the command prompt (CMD) as the administrator, and type "net stop wuauserv" into the CMD prompt window. Press ENTER. This should allow you to delete the files from step 4.
  6. Once the files are deleted, open and run the CMD as the administrator and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". Press ENTER.

Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Backup to external hard drive failed, then boot manager not found - everything lost!:

How to Fix Backup to external hard drive failed, then boot manager not found - everything lost! with SmartPCFixer?

1. Download SmartPCFixer. Install it on your system.

2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.

3. The Fixing part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed.


Related: AMD Radeon HD 7800M Win8 not working [Anwsered],I can access the internet, get on facebook and get to hotmail, but I can't play games on facebook and I can't open or respond to my e-mails,I keep getting this Media Player error when I log on my computer. [Anwsered],[Anwsered] System Hanging on shutdown and restart,Unable to get the Vlookup property of the WorksheetFunction class,Solution to Error: Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive.
,Troubleshoot:External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Error
,I'm always being signed off so annoying Tech Support
,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.
,Solution to Problem: Referencing data in another file
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22)
Read More: Tech Support: back up files converted to PBD,[Solution] At the start computer ask \"Strike F1 key to start of F2 for system setup.,How to Fix Problem - attempting automatic system repair loop.?,How to Fix - Automatically updating worksheets tabs - run time errors?,[Solution] BackgroundContainer.dll and TBverifier.dll cannot be found when starting Windows 8.1.,application not found error,any problems in a team where one has Windows XP and the other has Windows 7?,Application/Object-Defined Error,An Excel formula question where hours are totalled and cumulating,Anyone know the hardware email?

No comments:

Post a Comment